Answer FIVE of the questions in paragraph form using complete sentences (250 words min). It
is not necessary to cite sources unless you use outside references not assigned in this course,
though it is highly recommended you provide examples from the course texts or lectures.
If you use a specific article from the Guest text, you need only list the author’s name (“Bessire’s
article,” “the de Leon article”). Please submit assignments to Canvas in .docx (Word) format.
1. Explain Alfred Kroeber’s statement: “Anthropology is the most humanistic science and the
most scientific humanity.” Why do some anthropologists reject anthropology as a science?
2. Describe anthropology’s definition of culture. What is culture? What is culture not? Why
must culture theorists be careful about the hazards of binary thinking?
3. What is holism? How is anthropology holistic? Why is anthropology holistic? Be sure to
name key terms and figures.
4. Describe the rise of American Anthropology. Specifically, who were cultural evolutionists and
how did they contribute to the formation of the discipline? Name key figures/terms.
5. Describe the ethnographic method in anthropology and explain how it developed and who is
given credit for establishing these techniques?
11. EXTRA CREDIT (+5 points to final grade): Describe the relevance of the anthropological
theme of local and global. Why is it important to consider their interactive impact on human
culture? How do global forces shape local communities? How do cultural practices of local
communities reciprocally influence culture at the global level? Excellent responses will use
ethnographic examples to reinforce their argument. Does not count as a required response.