Application: Creating a Flowchart
Workflow analysis aims to determine workflow patterns that maximize the effective use of resources and minimize activities that do not add value. There are a variety of tools that can be used to analyze the workflow of processes and clarify potential avenues for eliminating waste. Flowcharts are a basic and commonly used workflow analysis method that can help highlight areas in need of streamlining.
In this Assignment, you select a common event that occurs regularly in your organization and create a flowchart representing the workflow. You analyze the process you have diagrammed and propose changes for improvement.
- Identify a common, simple event that frequently occurs in your organization that you would like to evaluate.
- Consider how you would design a flowchart to represent the current workflow.
- Consider what metrics you would use to determine the effectiveness of the current workflow and identify areas of waste.
Write a 3- to 5-page paper which includes the following:
- Create a simple flowchart of the activity you selected. (Review the Sample Workflow of Answering a Telephone in an Office document found in this week’s Learning Resources for an example.)
- Next, in your paper:
- Explain the process you have diagrammed.
- For each step or decision point in the process, identify the following:
- Who does this step? (It can be several people.)
- What technology is used?
- What policies and rules are involved in determining how, when, why, or where the step is executed?
- What information is needed for the execution of this step?
- Describe the metric that is currently used to measure the soundness of the workflow. Is it effective?
- Describe any areas where improvements could occur and propose changes that could bring about these improvements in the workflow.
- Summarize why it is important to be aware of the flow of an activity.
- Remember to include a cover page, introduction, and summary for your paper.
|Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.|
- McGonigle, D., & Mastrian, K. G. (2012). Nursing informatics and the foundation of knowledge(Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
- Huser, V., Rasmussen, L. V., Oberg, R., & Starren, J. B. (2011). Implementation of workflow engine technology to deliver basic clinical decision support functionality. BMC Medical Research Methodology,11(1), 43–61.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
In this article, the authors describe an implementation of workflow engine technology to support clinical decision making. The article describes some of the pitfalls of implementation, along with successful and future elements.
- Koppel, R., & Kreda, D. A. (2010). Healthcare IT usability and suitability for clinical needs: Challenges of design, workflow, and contractual relations. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 157, 7–14.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
This article points to many health information technology designs and workflow decisions that limit their value and usage. The authors also examine the structure of the conceptual relationships between HIT vendors and the clinical facilities that purchase HIT.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. (n.d.b). Workflow assessment for health IT toolkit. Retrieved, June 18, 2012, fromhttp://healthit.ahrq.gov/portal/server.pt/community/health_it_tools_and_resources/919/workflow_assessment_for_health_it_toolkit/27865
This article supplies a toolkit on the planning, design, implementation, and use of health information technology. The sections of the website provide a definition of workflow, examples of workflow tools, related anecdotes, and research.
- Document: Sample Workflow of Answering a Telephone in an Office (Word document)
Note: You will use this document to complete this week’s Assignment.
- Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012f). System design and workflow. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 7 minutes.
This video provides an overview of how workflow modeling can be used in a health care setting to target areas for revising current practices and procedures. The video also shows how technology and informatics can be used to improve workflow efficiency and increase the quality of care.
*Kindly follow the outline of my assignment based on the third uploaded document…. Thank you
Creating a Flowchart
Type your paper here. The references belong on a page of their own. So does the title page. This is your introduction so tells us about the process you are going to use in your diagram.
Diagram 1 Workflow of Sample Process
Stakeholders (Who does this help?)
Start paragraph here………………………….As noted in Diagram 1…..
Describe the technology used here.
Policies and Rules
Describe the policies involved here.
Metric used for Workflow Evaluation
Areas for Improvement
(Most likely only the course material or statistical data for this paper. I left some of my samples.)